Bringing Pets on Your Private Jet
November 9, 2020
Planning a trip and want to bring your Miniature Dachshund? You would not be the first Flexjet Owner to add their pet to their travel itinerary. Not only are they welcome, but they can fly in the cabin with you – not crated and stowed in baggage. We trust that with a little planning, your pets will enjoy being a Flexjet Owner as much as you do!
However, as air travel – private or otherwise – can be a new and perhaps unsettling experience for your pet, there are some considerations to be addressed before your trip to ensure their comfort and most of all, safety.
Here are some things to consider before your next flight with your dog, cat, parakeet or iguana:
- We welcome you to travel with whatever pet you wish, however obvious considerations will be required for different types of pets. When scheduling your travel, please reach out to your Owner Experience team and we will be happy to assist you in arranging the needs of your specific pet aboard your aircraft.
- While there is no standard weight limit nor a specific limit on the number of pets you can take on a flight, there are some basic guidelines. Flexjet’s policy is that smaller pets (similar in size or weight to a child under the age of two) may be carried on your lap during taxi, takeoff, and landing however pet carriers are recommended for pets that maybe anxious during flight. Any larger pets must remain on the floor. Pets must be secured by a safety belt or animal carrier during taxi, takeoff, and landing as well as kept clear of both standard and emergency exits at all times. Pets can be secured via a pet harness (through the seat belt), leash (through the seat belt), or animal carrier that is secured for taxi, takeoff, and landing.Check with your Owner Experience team before your travel to see what the restrictions are for your specific aircraft.
- New sounds (some of which you and I cannot hear), new smells (many of which your pets will experience a hundredfold to what we can smell), and the excitement of travel can all work to unsettle your otherwise calm and collected pet. When scheduling a trip, you can request to have toys, treats, or other items onboard your aircraft for your pets to enjoy in flight. Additionally, we recommend packing a few items with familiar scents from home to help keep them at ease – maybe a favorite blanket, throw, or even their favorite bed – something they will identify with, associate with the safety and comfort of home, thus making it easier for them to accept their new surroundings as a positive space. It is also a good idea, no matter the length of your trip, to cut back on their food and water intake in the hours preceding the flight, for obvious reasons. This will not only reduce the stress on your pet who may begin looking for “the door” and wondering why they aren’t being let out, but will also greatly reduce the incidence of in-flight mishaps. You may also want to make their morning walk or playtime session a bit more rigorous the day of travel, so they will be more rested, and therefore less anxious, when it comes time for them to be restricted to the cabin of the aircraft.
- EU regulations require pets to have a passport for travel between EU member states and a passport or health certificate for travel from a third country. You can easily obtain a pet passport for your cat or dog by contacting a vet in your home country. The process generally requires having your pet micro-chipped, vaccinated, arranging a blood test and obtaining documentation in the form of an EU pet passport. This process can take a few months, so be sure to leave yourself enough time before travel.
Flying to the UK
- When flying into the UK with your pet, regulations require you fly to one of the approved entry airports. Additional information may be needed if you are flying with your pet into the UK from a non-EU listed country. Your Flexjet team will be available to provide you with further information on specific requirements.
- Yes, as an extended member of your family, your pet is accounted for in your catering order. When scheduling your trip, you can request to have toys, treats, their preferred food, or other items onboard your aircraft for your pet to enjoy in flight. Your Owner Experience team will be happy to provide whatever will make your flight enjoyable for your pet.
At Flexjet we look forward to making your pet’s travel experience as memorable, relaxing, and comfortable as possible as we do for you.